Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend #1


Phew! I just came back home. Lately, all of a sudden, the weather's got really hot, so I had troubles staying home and decided to go hanging out for a while. We ended in the park drinking an iced cocktail with a fresh breeze blowing through the trees.

Yea, yea, I've been preeeetty busy in this weekend, there is not even need to tell. So...GW2. Let's cut it short. Yes. Yes. Yes. I am satisfied!
It's so freakin' amazing I just can't wait it to be released! 
If I should say how I allocated my gametime it would be 40% PvE, 45% PvP, 15% WvW.
A satisfied Save...

I usually am not fond of PvE, and I found useless to level up much my character considering it was a beta and it wouldn't matter pvp-wise. Even so, I completed all the marked dynamic events in Queensdale & part of the following area (Humans starting area) and I thoroughly explored Norns and Charrs starting areas and cities (believe me they are huge!). One of the main differences from the many other MMOs I've played is that usually you have a fixed progression area-wise. Like...if you're level 10 go to Area A, then once you have finished questing and grinded a bit, go to Area B that is for level 15+, and so on. GW2 shatters this concept: I roamed around the map without a pre-established path, but wherever I walked there was something meaningful to do. I never had the feeling of "This is the wrong place for me" or "There is nothing I can do here". It felt kind of like it would be in Skyrim or GTA. And it's true that the world changes. If you pass by the same area after an hour, it might be drastically different from what you saw previousely. It's a living world, where the actions of players matter and make it change.

After an hour or so from the start, me and my guildmates formed a small squad and headed to WvW. It was thrilling. Our levels were low, but with a good coordination we managed to conquer a few mining camps, claiming it for our guild. We ambushed enemies supply transports and hunted down wandering invaders. It was a blast.

After this, I decided to give a try to Structured PvP. Truth to be told, my first experiences were traumatic. It was fast paced, I panicked a little, and by default my thief had Dagger/Dagger & Pistol/Pistol as weapons setup and some rubbish traits. I got owned bad. Traumatic. I decided it was better to get first a better control over my character. The day after I came back with D/D and Shortbow, with different utilities and traits and slowly I managed to get the hang of it, I knew what I had to do, where I had to go, and how I had to react to enemies. Not to brag, but by the 3rd day, I think I got quite good and I managed to slice down a lot of opponents. Ph43r m4h d4gg3r5!!! :3
As you may have understood my main character has been (and will be) the Thief. I was unsure between Dagger/Dagger, Pistol/Pistol and Shortbow. On field practice proved D/D and SB to be the most effective. Actually I used the SB even more than D/D. It was the most versatile and safe to use, even when outnumbered. P/P did load of damage but had no crowd control, particularly, no cripple. D/D is incredible for 1vs1, the backstab from stealth can crit devastating an opponent.

Even if Steal mechanic has still to be fixed, Thief was a funny class to play. Stealth was different than what you usually have. It's not an "hide and wait" that once you pop out from you can't re-enter for the rest of the fight, but an active mechanism that has to be used to defend yourself and prepare other attacks in the middle of the fight. Thief makes use of venoms of different kinds to empower its attacks and weaken opponents, or traps to confuse them. Really fun!
Check the THIEF GALLERY

The 3rd day I also tried around the other classes I found interesting.
Warriors - they deal consistent damage but they are too straightforward for me.



Elementalists
- they are fragile but have loads of skills, to adapt to any situation. They are particularly fun with their summoned weapons.
Check the ELEMENTALIST GALLERY

Rangers - they are overall great, and funny to play, especially with shortbow and longbow (I used bows a lot as thief, so...). They have cool skills with animals aura (Bear, Hawk, Serpent, Bee, etc.). But I don't like having to take care of a pet. It's not bad, it's actually useful, but just I don't want to have a pet to mind :\
Check the RANGER GALLERY

Guardians - they feel like a solid, strategical class. I had fun with the hammer bashing enemies away. They can summon ethereal weapons. Oh and they have some skills that make them feel like Iron Man!
Check the GUARDIAN GALLERY


Mesmers - I tried one, because they were annoying opponents in pvp. You don't have to let them roam around and keep you at distance. If you can, cripple them and don't let them shuffle with their illusions! (Btw they are sooo gaish with their pink butterflies :\ )
Check the MESMER GALLERY

Yup, I took a lot of Screenshots. In high definition. About 1 Gb of stuffs. I had to make use of my university uber net this morning to be able to upload all of them. Sadly I found out a bug with the tiling under water so all the screens with water in it got screwed. Sigh. I reported the bug. I hope it's fixed by the next beta.

A few other things happened...but those will have to wait for the next posts!
See y'all soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment